Sunday, September 23, 2007


I reflect on the last three weeks in disbelief, particularly because I have not fallen ill, or even worried that I was dying of some strange illness (I tend to be somewhat of a hypochondriac). I have the immune system similar to that of the bubble-boy, yet I am the only member of our entire group that has not experienced some version of the plague. What a blessing. The only thing I risk falling victim to is cardiac arrest. I don’t think I have ever consumed so much dairy and meat in my entire life.
On this lovely Sunday, I look out my window and past the apple and plum trees that fill our yard are the mountains, and on one of these majestic hills resides the castle (Medvegrad) that I will be hiking to with my host family for lunch today. My host mother insists that we all need fresh air, or we will surely get meningitis. We are, however, embarking on our adventure a little earlier than typical, because I plan on taking the afternoon bus to Trg Bana Josipa Jelacica (the main city square) for yoga (joga). After that I will most likely meet my friend Jan for kava at one of the hundreds of cafés which flood the streets of the Zagreb. He is a film producer who although Croatian, grew up in London, and has quickly become someone I consider a friend, and because of his English fluency, a comfort.
I suppose this is all for now, I just felt that I would give you an idea of a typical Sunday. This week should be a little less stressful than last. We visit parliament tomorrow, but the rest of the week is very normal: Croatian in the morning and thematic seminar in the afternoon. I am debating spending the weekend in Budapest, however, Monday morning we leave for Slovenia and Istria, so this might be a stretch. We shall see. Bok!

No comments: