Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"Little events, ordinary things, smashed and reconstituted. Imbued with new meaning. Suddenly they become the bleached bones of a story." – Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things.

I was thinking of my story today, the story each of has, the one we often discredit, ignore, and minimize. I would like to think I live each day as a beautiful story, inserting passion into every step and intention into every interaction, but I know this only wishful thinking. When I woke this morning I resolved to play with living my day as a story. I felt the cold floor beneath my feel when I leapt from my bunk, and deeply smelled my coffee as I savored each sip. I observed the faces of all those I passed on my way to yoga and contemplated my location as I meditated after the stretches. Following yoga I went to the market, where I found a ripe mango of all things! I embraced it like a little child and scampered home where I let its ripe nectar and scent seep. I soon, however, grew detached from my initial plan and my day become a little less romantic when I discovered I would be taking a cold shower, and my two interviews were canceled. At this point I started moping around and feeling sorry for myself…Perhaps each of our days reflect the story of our lives, the little frustrations parallel the larger obstacles, intertwined with victories and revelations. It is amazing, how one set back can impair a day, or a life. Just by closely participating in my day, I notice how the ordinary actions we make, steps we take, and decisions we execute determine our feelings, which often can spin out of proportion. We place meaning where it is not due, such as that we are victims, or our life isn’t fair, because of the way we are able to transform the little things…

As what I have written above might suggest, today is slow. My agenda is slightly thrown off. I did however meet with my advisor who excitedly relayed to me that I am doing beautiful work. I am just not convinced. Initially I intend to compare the experiences of Roma and non Roma activists working to empower Roma, but this idea is changing. I have interviewed several activists who described their identities first and foremost as artists, feminists, social workers etc…and here I am with an already disproved thesis. It is not too late to change my approach, but I feel kind of silly for initially hypothesizing that the color of someone’s skin would be the primary factor effecting there experience as an activist. This project has many more layers than I had intended…and I am learning that the identity is never either/or, but rather constituted of countless combinations of varieties and versions of feelings, loyalties, traits and experiences.

I am also working on a photo project, which is not so complimentary to my natural abilities, but I am confident in my idea. It will be called “Akava Sem Amen” which is Roma for “This is who we are.” It will be a collection of photographs of Roma activists in Belgrade, who are all engaging with the Roma through unique approaches: theater, jewelry making, policy, social work etc. These are men, women, youth…some are Roma and some Serbian. Ultimately I aim to emphasize the multiplicity of activist identity, reflecting an important lesson I have learned thus far.


No comments: